Returns and Requesting a Refund
Find out how to return your order and request a refund or replacement.
- I Bought from a WHSmith Store. What is the Returns, Exchange and Refund Policy?
- I Ordered Online from WHSmith.co.uk. What is the Returns, Exchange and Refund Policy?
- How Do I Return Items for a Refund?
- How Long Have I Got to Return an Unwanted Item?
- Can I Return a Faulty Item?
- How Do I Return an Item to Store?
- My Order has Arrived Incorrect or Damaged. What Do I Do?
- I Want an Exchange Rather Than a Refund. What Do I Do?
- Which Products are Excluded from the Returns Policy?
- I Ordered from One of your Partner Websites. What is there Returns Policy?
I Bought from a WHSmith Store. What is the Returns, Exchange and Refund Policy?
We hope you are delighted with everything you buy from us. However, if for any reason you are not, simply return it to us within 30 days of purchase in its original condition and with your receipt, and we will gladly find you a replacement or refund your money.
The only exception to this is Gift Cards as WHSmith High Street Limited acts as the agent for the third party participating retailers in the sale of Gift Card products. Therefore, any customer queries after purchase must be directed to the relevant participating retailers. Gift Card products can be purchased with WHSmith Giftcards, cash or credit/debit cards only. Multi-retailer vouchers/cards cannot be used to purchase these products. The WHSmith returns, exchange and refund policy does not apply to these products. Expiration of all Gift Card products varies. Please check individual Gift Cards for expiration date.
This is in addition to your statutory rights.
I Ordered Online from WHSmith.co.uk. What is the Returns, Exchanges and Refund Policy?
UK consumers and consumers from the rest of the European Union have the right to cancel contracts for the purchase of items within fourteen (14) calendar days of the day after receipt of the ordered goods. We offer an extended cooling off period of 30 calendar days after receipt of the ordered goods (exclusions apply). You can cancel your contract at any time up to 30 calendar days starting the day after delivery. To do this, please contact our Customer Service team with your order number ready.
Once you have let us know, you then need to return the unwanted products to us (preferably in their original packaging or otherwise adequately packaged) as soon as reasonably practicable. This can be done by post or to one of our highstreet stores.
You should inspect any product(s) you purchase from the website as soon as you can after delivery and notify us if you consider they are defective as soon as possible. If a product is incorrect, faulty or defective you are entitled to either:
- During the first 30 days after the delivery date, you can ask us to reimburse the price paid for the relevant product(s) to the credit, or debit or gift card used to purchase the goods.
- During the first 6 months after the delivery date, you can ask us to repair the product(s) at our own expense, or ask us to supply replacement product(s) free of charge.
If you are sending something back that's faulty or incorrect due to our error, we will refund the return postage costs to your payment card, but not in other circumstances.
If the item is not working, refer to any warranty information relating to it. It may be quicker for you to get a replacement product direct from the manufacturer rather than by returning it to us.
You have statutory rights against us and any warranty applicable to an item is additional to those rights. You can also obtain free legal advice on your statutory rights in relation to faulty or misdescribed goods from Trading Standards (via Citizens advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506) or your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Our Customer Service Team will also be able to advise you - call them on.0333 6005000 or email them.
How Do I Return Items for a Refund?
Within 30 calendar days of receipt you can either return items to WHSmith high street stores or by post. Bring the item to any WHSmith high street store along with your order dispatch email. Refunds are made onto your card, not in cash. PayPal payments are refunded to your payment card.
Or post the item back to us at the freepost address printed on the delivery note included with your order.
For items returned by post:
- The items must be in the original condition and packaging with any security seals intact
- Repackage the products securely and send to the address printed on the delivery note
- Include the reason for the return, the invoice number and your email address or telephone number.
For items over 1m long (such as furniture) please contact us to arrange collection as these cannot be returned to stores.
How Long Have I Got to Return an Unwanted Item?
You have 30 calendar days after delivery to return an item for a refund.
Can I Return a Faulty Item?
If an item is not working, refer to any warranty information relating to it. It may be quicker for you to get a replacement product direct from the manufacturer rather than by returning to us.
If you are sending something back that is faulty or incorrect due to our error then we will refund your postage costs to the card you paid with.
How Do I Return an Item to Store?
Most items bought from WHSmith.co.uk can be returned to any of our high street stores. This excludes WHSmith concessions and stores in airports, railway stations, motorway services and outside the UK
Large (over 1m long) and heavy items such as furniture cannot be returned to stores, and you will need to call our customer services team to arrange collection. If you are unsure then please contact us before attempting to return to store.
Please be aware that some items, such as magazine subscriptions, cannot be returned. Read our full list of Exclusions here.
My Order has Arrived Incorrect or Damaged. What Do I Do?
You can request a refund within 14 working days after the item was delivered. Return it to us within 14 days of receipt for a full refund or exchange. Keep any warranty information.
If you are sending something back that's faulty or incorrect due to our error we'll refund your postage costs to the card you paid with.
I Want an Exchange Rather Than a Refund. What Do I Do?
We ask you to place a new order for the item. We'll refund you for the original item and then charge you for the replacement when we're ready to send it out.
Which Products are Excluded from the Returns Policy?
The following items cannot be returned unless the item is incorrect, faulty or defective:
- periodical(s) or magazine(s)
- digital products such as CDs, DVDs, or computer software where the holographic seal and/or shrink-wrap has been unsealed.
- products made to your specification i.e. personalised
- perishable goods
- magazine gift pack and experience gift packs which have been activated.
- Gift cards and vouchers including, but not limited to WHSmith Gift vouchers and Apple iTunes Gift cards
I Ordered From One of Your Partner Websites. What is Their Returns Policy?
Each of our partner sites, including FunkyPigeon.com, has their own return and refunds policy. You will need to return any items directly to them, we cannot accept these returns at WHSmith stores.
My Question is Not Answered Here. What Do I Do?
We may have the answer on another help page - you can check our FAQs here.
Still need help? Contact our Customer Services team